Jun 30, 2009

Dear friends and family-

Let me just start by saying THANK YOU SO MUCH for supporting me through 1) my first time away from CA, 2) in another country, and 3) for nearly a year! I never knew what to expect coming here but while the first half of this experience got out all the kinks, the second was definitely the best year of college and quite possibly the most memorable time of my life. I am so grateful to have taken advantage of this opportunity and I honestly feel that an experience like this is something you can’t afford to NOT do. I can't imagine going with the original plan, choosing the semester, and leaving 6 months ago. I just started..! I also want to send a big thank you to ALL my host families and all the new friends I made during my time abroad. Leaving the UK leaves such a sad sensation through my chest but I know we'll keep in touch over the upcoming years, and I will be back soon. Promised!


I cant believe how much I benefitted from this trip:
I improved my English. (from hangin out with all the foreigners ya know. they tell me when I need to talk slower, less mumbling, and be more clear..haha..)

I improved my spanish, and can actually communicate in spanish so much better after these past 9 months than I could in the past 4 years.

Overall, I have a better understanding and am better at communicating with people from different cultures & backgrounds.

I don't take for granted lots of things I used to ..but I don't want/need much of the same things either.

I learned how to cook ...from making dressings and sauces, jams, soups, bread/doughs, cakes & other deserts...literally E V E R Y T H I N G from the bare ingredients.

I can also cook in grams, liters, and pints.

Can average celsius degreases to fahrenheit............and travel/weigh myself in kilos, and measure in centimeters

I'll tell you a little about your wine from tasting it.

I've made friends around the world that I know I'll have for a lifetime

I got a chance to see what families, education, jokes, slang, &socializing are like in so many different places.

I love learning about world history and world stuff, not just american history and american stuff.

I cheer for rugby, football (not american), cricket, & handball

I got a chance to study in one of the top 10 research schools in the world, and one of the worlds' best schools for Sociology

I know an entire new region, the UK, like the back of my hand.

I've learned so much more about the US more than I ever did when I lived there.

Je parle un peu de français.

I "well topped-up" my CV. (improved my resume) and (hopefully) gained a competitive advantage in the job market.

I'm so much more open-minded and more interested in knowing people, who they are, where theyre from, where they've been.

Last but not least.. From now on, I will definitely make an effort to take advantage of every opportunity, put time aside to enjoy life, ..and encourage others to do so as well.


With that being said, success is definitely how you make it ..and I don't see why you shouldn't have fun along the way. If it's true that we only get to live once, why not take advantage of every opportunity? A few weeks on vacation simply cannot be compared to really knowing what LIFE is like in another country. Learning about different personalities, families, education in different countries, and the connections you make from around the world is worth all the trips of your life. And 20 years from now it’ll still be worth it. The rewards I've gained have definitely become applicable personally, socially, academically, and professionally .. if you know anybody debating on whether or not they want to do this, let me answer for them -yes.

See you soon!

Cheers
Love, Ashley



1 comment:

Olivia said...

Good for you! My experience isn't quite the same, but I'm learning a lot of similar life lessons. I'm glad you had such a good time and hopefully we will cross paths in San Francisco!