On my way to denmark I overslept, hopped in a cab, and missed my first train by ...1 minute
Deciding to grab my jacket at the library (I forgot it), in the time I had to wait, I trek it from the station to campus and as i approach the last few steps up to the station platform I see the train slowly drive away and miss my second ride by about oh, 1 second. Neat.
And THEN, catching my 3rd train I finally make it. But after an amazing afternoon wandering around Bath, England I ACTUALLY MISSED MY 3RD bus ....to the London airport! (by another 2 seconds!) I will not explain why this happened or why I'm so special but I WILL say that it makes no sense to have the train station and bus station on opposite sides of the town and around a carpark, highway, and a bunch of construction. But no worries, I took a quicker, more convenient and more expensive route instead..
At least that was the worst of it.. I know I am terrible at traveling but I LOVE IT! For this reason..I randomly decided to go to Bath Thursday afternoon before catching my London flight. Bath is known for the giant Roman Baths from 2000 years ago. You can even swim in the more modern "baths" that I can't even illustrate without googling a picture for you:

They're like these amazing giant open air pools that come with this massage treatment, etc, etc, etc..I didnt go in, but I wish i did. Instead I wandered around the bath museum and with it came a joint ticket to this Fashion Museum. The fash museum was really cool, it showed all the styles of menswear, womenswear, day/evening wear, accessories, dresses, coats, jackets, corsets, knitwear, fashion photographs, pockets, shirts, gloves, blouses, waistcoats, fans, even undergarmets .... from the 1800’s to 2005.you could even try on the corsets and dresses with giant wire frames.
afterwards I went all around the city: through huge shopping centres, sipped coffee under the pultney bridge,read a book at the Royal Crescent park, and hopped into the Jane Austen Centre (Pride&Prejudice).
British women in the 80's
Royal Crescent
this is what happens when you let me travel alone..
Actually i lied.. there is some relevance.. its a close up of the very first picture. Now how random is this?
Yeah.. So in Denmark I met Sarah at her apartment/dorm. We went to her university at the Danish school of Journalism [Danmarks Journalisthøjskole] and met all her homies. We walked through the city centre and went to her friend’s apartment and this other dudes house where I then realized everything in Denmark ...the shops, cafes, even apartments and houses, EVERYTHING is cute, modern and artsy in design and architecture and furniture. Department stores are ikea-y and EVERYONE rides bikes as you can see below.. there are these bike racks all over the city..
I guess this proves why people were noticeably more fit ..and gorgeous!
If you don't already know, the Scandinavian region includes Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland (I'm not sure about this one). On Saturday, all shops close at 2pm. And on Sunday not a single thing is open. Not even grocery stores. Everyone has the day off except maybe the petrol (gas)station. And during the week apparently everything closes around 5. I get the impresh time is spent with family and friends and leisurely activities are much more important than putting in long hours at work..even for a bit of extra cash. compeitions providing the latest/longest hours probably have never existed.Ever. Although most things were closed.. everything was so simple relaxing and quaint and I had a great time. Saturday we had a BBQ in the park with her friends and Sunday we took a train to Odense, another town 2 hours away by train.
BBQ in the park
Odense has H.C. Andersons tributes all over the place. This dude wrote all the childrens fairy tale books ..Ugly duckling, Little Mermaid, Thumbelina, Steadfast Tin Soldier, Snow Queen, etc.. Other than the Bible his books are the most copied/published in the world and huge statutes of main characters are all over the town. Ironically theres a rumor that he hated kids and thought they were creepy. The pic above would be me hanging out with the great Hans Christian ..pulling his finger.
Oh yeah all the Danish mommies push BUGGIES, not strollers, and park them all over Denmark. How cute!
Haha.. Street signals in Odense.. disabled? old man? pimp?
By the way..I ve realized that the Scandinavian region are the most expensive countries in the world! 1 dollar is about 5 kroners. Coffee was about 40 kroners = 5 pounds = 7-8 dollars. rip off! But you just have to be cool, calm, and collected. Its fun figuring it out though and it really tests your math (british people say maths with an S.. weirdos) skills. To me basic division is historic.. but when you walk into a 7-11 and all the prices are numbers in the 20's 30's and 40s.. or like when something that should be 20 bucks says its100 and something with a random symbol next to it..you start to pay more attention, although its really just a different system. Also they have bills of 100, 200, and 500 but everything is mostly COINS and there are no "fractions" of a kroner (quarter, dime, nickel) all the currency is in whole numbers! bah. Confusing.. but I can't wait to go back!
2 comments:
furnitcher? really?
spell check is overrated anyway.
I'm going to really miss your blog when you come back to the States. Perhaps you should be an expat, just so I can stay entertained?
Your brother gave us a wonderful tour of UCSC last weekend. Beautiful campus, amazing views of the Pacific, lots of redwood trees.
Post a Comment